NMIT was established in 1905 and is a large government owned ‘Institute of Technology’, also known as an ‘ITP’, situated in the sunniest region of New Zealand. As an ITP, NMIT delivers technical, vocational and professional education at tertiary level. Our programmes create work-ready graduates to meet local, national and international job market needs.
NMIT is government-owned and classed as a ‘Category 1’ institution, the highest ranking possible, by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) for educational performance and self-assessment. NMIT is a member of the International Association of Universities.
NMIT’s career-focussed programmes are recognized all over the world and attract over 5,000 students every year, including more than 500 internationals. Students choose to study at NMIT for its world-class facilities, high standards of achievement, and personal attention from staff.
The Nelson-Marlborough region is at the heart of New Zealand’s aquaculture, horticulture, wine and fishing industries and plays a big role in forestry, aviation and tourism.
Students enjoy pristine beaches, exquisite national parks and outdoor activities ranging from kayaking and kite-surfing to biking, hiking and more.
Nelson and Blenheim are small, safe cities where students can relax and enjoy the laid-back Kiwi culture as well as great entertainment, cafes, shopping and festivals.
The following bullet points summarise what makes NMIT stand out:
• Established in 1905 and one of New Zealand’s oldest educational institutes
• Government owned and funded
• Category 1 institution, the highest ranking possible, by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) for educational performance
• 98.2% of NMIT Learner Experience survey respondents in 2012 said that their experience of studying at NMIT met or exceeded their expectations (institute-wide).
• World-class training in modern and comfortable facilities
• Excellent study support and pastoral care for international students
• A safe and friendly learning environment – students say they feel part of the NMIT ‘family’
• Access to free health nurse and counselling sessions in your own language
• Free airport pick up and a tour of the region for new international students
• New arrivals receiv help with setting up bank accounts and buying mobile phone SIM cards
• Fun, interactive and informative orientation sessions
• Activity programme including discounted or free group activities such as beach trips, kayaking trips, weekend and day trips
• Vibrant campus life and lively student centre with café, games room and music television
• Cultural celebrations including Diwali and Chinese Moon Festival
• Free wifi network across campus and over 300 computers for free student use
• Member of the International Association of Universities (IAU)
• Member of the Tertiary Accord New Zealand (TANZ)
• Close to three national parks and is situated in New Zealand’s sunniest region
• Students enjoy a beautiful natural environment including beaches, lakes, mountains and rivers
• Nelson-Marlborough is a centre for wine, food, art and culture – it truly is paradise!
NMIT offers many world-class qualifications from certificate to degree and graduate diploma level. All of our programmes have been developed in consultation with industry, the community and other education providers to ensure that they will provide you with the knowledge, skills and experience for your chosen career or further education. NMIT’s qualifications will serve you well wherever you are in the world. NMIT programme areas include:
Arts and Media
Computing and Information Technology
Cookery and Hospitality
Counselling and Social Work
Hair and beauty
Health and Nursing
Tourism and Travel
Viticulture and Wine
For more information about NMIT’s exciting programmes please go to www.nmit.ac.nz/international.
What do I get for my money?
• A world-class education in the sunniest and most beautiful region of New Zealand
• 24 hours, seven days a week support from the Student Services team and telephone helpline
• Free airport pick up and city tours
• Access to free health nurse
• Free counselling sessions in your language
• Access to free or discounted group activities
• Access to all campus facilities including loan of sporting equipment
• Access to Fishbowl Computer Café and Library Learning Centre (LLC)
• Student card entitling you to discounts around town
• Free one-on-one tutorials with Learning Advisors staff
• Your own email address and personalised, online learner plan
• Free IT support and campus-wide WIFI
Contact Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology