Immigration New Zealand is currently not accepting visa applications from people outside of New Zealand. This measure is in place at least until 10 November 2020. Read more about this decision here.
If you’re travelling to New Zealand without a student visa you may need an Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA). Find out if you need an NZeTA.
Why apply online?
- Cheaper – it’s 10% cheaper than a paper application.
- Easier – ditch the paperwork; apply online from anywhere, anytime. And if you’re eligible you may be issued with an eVisa – meaning you won't have to send your passport to Immigration New Zealand.
- Faster – Immigration New Zealand receives your application the moment you press submit.
What you need to apply
To complete an online application you will need:
- A valid credit card
- A computer and reliable internet connection
- A passport-style photo of yourself in jpeg format
- Electronic copies of your supporting documents, including:
- An offer of place from an educational institution approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority
- Evidence of sufficient funds to live on while you are studying
- If you're under 18 years, a written guarantee from an institution or person that suitable accommodation is available to you in New Zealand.
See the full list of Student Visa requirements on Immigration New Zealand.
Steps to apply online
- Read the Student Visa requirements on immigration.govt.nz
- Prepare your supporting documents (as above)
- Click the Apply Now button on the Immigration website
- Create a Real Me login (this is a New Zealand Government login)
- Complete the online form and upload your documents
- Review your application
- Pay the application fee and hit submit.
Tip: even when applying online, visa applications can take up to eight weeks to process. Make sure you apply well in advance of your intended travel date. You can apply up to four months before you travel.
To learn more and get started, visit Immigration New Zealand.